Re: [Bricklin] Gas tank problem

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Bricklin] Gas tank problem
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 16:13:09 -0500
At 01:58 PM 12/9/2008, you wrote:

 >Hi!  Recently there was a thread on problems with gas tanks and finding a
 >replacement...

 >...The last three times I took my Bricklin out, I ended up on the
side of the
 >road, waiting for the tow truck!

Jacques,

WOW!  Sounds like me trying to take my Morgan out.  I get about 3/4 mi.
to 2 mi. from home and it dies.  Then I either have to call a tow
truck, or walk
home and get the pick up to tow her home.  My problem is usuall the gas
has gone bad, I think the lining I had put in the tank isn't holding up and
that's helping kill the gas, and the fuel pump gets clogged, and
finally failed.

 >Rust colored fuel with "flaky bits" comes up the fuel line and clogs the
 >pre-carb filter installed. The fuel pump also failed - the new one
lasted less
 >than 100 miles. Bad luck/faulty new pump, or is the pump getting clogged up
 >with rust too?

My guess is the pump is gummed up with rust and crud.  You wouldn't believe
the crap I'd dig out the carb and fuel pump on my Morgan.

 >Can you take the fuel pump apart to clean it?

Not too sure about the fuel pump on the Bricklin.   I think it depends on the
pump you have on the car.  Some of the pumps are pretty cheap though,
< $32.

 >I realise I can clean/repair the existing tank, but I would prefer buying a
 >brand new one or a good used one,  if I can find either one at a reasonable
 >price.

Regardless of what you do, I'd suggest that you look at having the tank
cleaned, lined, and even have a drain plug installed.

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229