Re: overheating 2121 (part 4 of 4)

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: overheating 2121 (part 4 of 4)
From: "Rick at High Tech Coatings" <rick@hightechcoatings.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 09:41:27 -0400
On 8/31/2008 10:42:42 AM, John T. Blair (jblair1948@cox.net) wrote:
> At 09:04 AM 8/31/2008, you wrote:
>
> >I have not checked with a CO-tester but when the engine runs and
> you open the
> >reservoir you can see grey smog coming out of it!  It smells like
> gas from the
> >exhaust. Could it be something else??
> >The pressure on the cooling system seems to be so high, that the
> radiator
> >starts to leak. (it
> hasn't done this several weeks before)
> >I will check the rest next weekend, hopefully!!
>
> Sven,
Could also be  a cracked head, If the car was overheated the ford heads have a
tendency to crack when overheated severely. That would explain the gas smell,
high pressure, smog and continual over heating. The heads should have been
magnafluxed or pressure tested and decked if the gaskets were bad and had to
be replaced.
 One other thing it could be is one of the head gaskets could be on backwards.
the gaskets have "FRONT" printed on one side of them, This must be at the
front on the engine, one will have the word face up the other side facing down
but both at the front of the engine, other wise it will overheat.