Re: Attaching Body side moldings

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Attaching Body side moldings
From: "High Tech Coatings" <rick@hightechcoatings.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 04:36:57 -0400
Originally they were held on wit some sore of butyl adhesive, This adhesive
was OK back in  the day but totally sucks by today's standards. what I use
is 3M molding tape to stick it on, sorry no part # it is the grey stuff and
about 3/8" wide. Preparation is the key, first you MUST remove all traces of
the old adhesive and other peoples patchwork. I use a 3" stiff putty knife
to scrape all the guck off the back of the molding then clean it with
solvent (xlene). I then remove all traces from the car and clean with
solvent. I then lay out the tape on the mounding, Since the stuff i have is
3/8" i use 2 strips one on the top side and one on the bottom leaving a gap
in the middle. I then hold it up against the car with the backing still on
and mark all the rivets on the tape. I the cut circles out of the tape so
the molding sits flat and water has less of chance of getting in between the
tape and the car causing it to release. I have yet to have a molding failure
using this method.
Rick R