Re: Electric cooling fan conversion

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Electric cooling fan conversion
From: "High Tech Coatings" <rick@hightechcoatings.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 07:43:44 -0400
The "hot ticket" for the mustang guys is the fan from a Lincoln mark VIII,
They use it as a stand alone with not belt driven fan on cars up to 600 HP,
The more HP the more heat needs to be extracted.
I plan on using one on a couple of my cars along with a fan controller from
Dc controls. If you use an electric fan you will need to upgrade your
charging system as well. any electric fan that will cool the brick will draw
too many amps for the stock alternator to keep up. I have a 74 that the
previous owner put an aftermarket (always on) electric fan only on it, while
moving cars around one day I left it idling out side, it over heated in
about 15 minutes and it was only just above freezing outside.
My view is as a booster fan in front of the rad it "should" help, If you
want to  eliminate the belt driven fan go with an OEM fan from a car that
used it as it's sole cooling fan. BTW the mark VIII fan draws almost 60 amps
on start up and moves over 4000cfm, that's about double what most
aftermarket 18" fans move.
http://www.dccontrol.com
RickR