Re: Overheating

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overheating
From: "Seth" <sbunin@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 23:12:56 -0400
It's been a long time since I've had to remember if the temp spec for a
thermostat is the opening temp, or the fully open temp. The below quote is from
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system8.htm

The thermostat's main job is to allow the engine to heat up quickly, and then
to keep the engine at a constant temperature. It does this by regulating the
amount of water that goes through the radiator. At low temperatures, the outlet
to the radiator is completely blocked -- all of the coolant is recirculated
back through the engine.

Once the temperature of the coolant rises to between 180 and 195 F (82 - 91 C),
the thermostat starts to open, allowing fluid to flow through the radiator. By
the time the coolant reaches 200 to 218 F (93 - 103 C), the thermostat is open
all the way.

As it mentions, 210 degrees is not "hot". It's normal operating for most cars.
I also was driving a new Grand Am last week and noticed the temp gauge
stabilized at 208 degrees.

Also water boils at about 2 degrees hotter for every pound of pressure it has
on it, so a 16 lb cap raises the BP to around 242 degrees. On top of that, the
coolant raises the BP a couple degrees too.

Seth