article idea

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: article idea
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 11:54:50 -0400
Well gang I got my headlight system plumbed today and working.  I found
a couple of interesting things out doing it.

1. The size for the vac. hoses in the articles that have been published in
   The Brickline are wrong.  Especially the 1/4" hose.  It's really for a
   3/16 tube, and the hose is 5/32 id.

2. After I got everything plumbed, the headlights would not work, and when
   I shut off the eng. I heard a noise like something leaking.  Turned out
   we had the hoses reversed at the coffee can.

3. Reversed that, and then we could get the headlights to go up and down but
   only with the "emergency" bypass.  In desperation, we reversed the
   connections at the headlight switch.  Now everything works as advertised.

Which brings up and interesting question.  How does canister work?  The
fitting on top is some sort of check valve.  How does the bypass switch
work - what is it doing.  And why is the headlight and canister direction
sensative?

We've had some very general articles about the headlight system, and
had Kim's article on replacing the front seals on the actuactors.  But
not a good, how's it really work article.  So if anyone wants to undertake
an article - here's one for you.

Phone:  (757) 495-8229