Re: Two Questions

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Two Questions
From: "Rick" <Htc@MNSi.Net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 05:29:28 -0400
#2 -- What is a good adhesive for putting door skins back on ?.

There have been great strides in the adhesive industry in the past few
years. The norm has been to use 3M windshield urethane  stick the skins back
on.there are new special auto adhesives that may work even better. Just make
sure they remain flexible as the door flexes greatly when it is open. I
don't believe liquid nails will pass the stress test in 2 or 3 years as it
tends to get harder and thus less flexible the longer it 'dries'. prep is
extremely important when reglueing the door skins. the metal frame must be
clean derusted and properly primed to prevent rust and promote adhesion. use
the glue manufacturers recommendations, I use an acid etch primer than a
coat of urethane paint which is allowed to cure at least 2 weeks. then an
urethane primer designed for pinch welds (available @windshield supply
houses) the I clean, sand and pinch weld prime the inside of the skin and
allow it to dry
for an hour then I apply the adhesive to the door and sit the skin on and
leave it alone for at least a day. I made some little clamps to hold the
skin in place while the adhesive cures. hope this helps. If you check with a
body shop supply house you will find they have a myriad of new adhesives for
the "new" materials in newer cars, most are 2 part and require a special but
inexpensive tooling. you also want to try a marine supply house for
fiberglass to steel adhesives.