Re: Still Have no power...FIXED.

To: WUZNTME2@aol.com, Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Still Have no power...FIXED.
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:47:05 -0500
> I just installed a new starter solenoid and everything is
> up and running  again. I wanted to THANK all of those who
> provided me some very helpful  suggestions, It would have
> taken me a lot more time to figure out what was wrong if I
> didn't get the help.

Mike,

I don't understand.  Replacing the starter solenoid
shouldn't
have fixed your problem.  Your original symptoms were no
power to anything, even headlights.  If the starter solenoid
is open - that's a good thing.  That's its normal state
until
you try to start the car.  You should have had lights.

When you turn the key to on, you should have had all your
accessories - ie radio.  But your indication was that this
was not the case.

If the main solenoid contacts were shorted, then the starter
would have been tring to start all the time, and you'd drain
the battery very quickly, burn up the main power cable, and
starter.

If the coil on the solenoid were burned out, you wouldn't
get
the click when you tried to start the car, but you would
have
had accessories in the run mode.