Re: seat belt

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: seat belt
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:06:23 -0400
At 10:41 AM 7/12/03 -0400, Ron Bendell wrote:

>My drivers side seat belt is not retracting properly. it will only retract
>when I feed it in by hand. Is there any adjustments or repairs I can do
myself
>or do I need to purchase another one? What vehicle are the seat belts from?

Ron,

Regardless of weither you can repair or replace the belt, you will have to
take it off the car.  This may be a real trick!  The belt real bolts through
the floor boars to a reinforcement metal plate on the outside of the floor
pan.  Hopefully you will be able to unscrew the bolt.  On my car, I had to
grind the nut and bolt off.

Once you have it out of the car, you can try cleaning it with something like
wd40 to see if it's not just grime.  If the spring is broken you will
probably not be able to fix it.

The belts came from a VW Beetle VW part # 111-657-775A but are no longer
available.  I spent quite a bit of time looking for some for my car.

If you can't find the original ones, you can get some aftermarket ones
or look in a junk yard for something equivilant.

I believe Bob Hoffman had some - I believe there about $125 ea.

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V