Re: manual conversion...long overdue.

To: "bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: manual conversion...long overdue.
From: "High Tech Coatings" <htc@mnsi.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 13:30:01 -0500
----- Original Message -----
>    I am also glad to hear that Rick has succeeded in his quest to mount
the Mustang >pedal setup.  Rick I was curious about this setup when I
started...but I figured that it >might be difficult to mount the bellhousing
side since I would be using an AMC >bellhousing.  I just never got around to
trying it, although it was in the back of my head.

If the AMC set up doesn't use a cable to actuate the clutch then it is not
worth the work to use the mustang pedals. If you want to go hydro then the
setup from a CJ with a Hydro clutch would probably a lot closer to a  'drop
in' to the existing pedal hanger. the easiest way to mount the bottom slave
cyl is use one from a ranger pickup with a T5, they are hydraulic, mount
internally on the input shaft.

>    On the side....The T-5 IS overdrive.  5th is NOT 1:1, it is 0.67:1 I
think....I could be >    I mounted my clutch pedals with no welding and only
minor adjustment to the car >itself.
The T56 has 2 overdrives both 5th and 6th and is rated for over 450 lbs of
torque in a 3400# car, I will exceed that rating on both ends but due to the
lack of grip in the narrow rear tires I shouldn't have a problem.
The mustang pedal set it self was modified to fit the car and the only mods
to the car was the moving and realignment of the evaporator box (and the
appropriate ducts)and AC lines. This will help the air flow greatly and
improve the cooling efficiency come summer. I had to fabricate a couple of
brackets along the way and bought an aluminum clutch quadrant, adjustable
cable and firewall adjuster for the cable, so I will 2 different places to
make adjustments. For those of you that don't know what a clutch quadrant is
, it's the half moon  shape that the pedal drags the cable over to get
smooth movement.
I considered using the ranger pedal set and going hydraulic for the clutch
but the T56 6 speed I have is set up for a cable clutch. the ranger pedal
hanger is bit harder to work with as it is a die cast aluminum alloy instead
of easily welded steel like the mustang.
I have all the picture now all I have to do is make the words that go with
them. That should be easier than doing the work but not as exiting.