AMC engine tuning

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: AMC engine tuning
From: "Sean Johnson" <seanjohnson@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 07:29:28 -0600
Hello all,

I hope you've had a wonderful holiday season.  Winter time in Texas is a good
time to work on a Bricklin, so I need your help.  Hopefully, I'm on the nice
list  :-)

#760 is experiencing a backfire problem.  This occurs when you quickly stab
the accelerator.  If you tach up the engine slowly, you are fine. It seems
like it happens approximately when you enter the secondaries.  The carb was of
unknown vintage, so I found a new one at a good deal.  No help.  I've checked
the firing order to make sure no wires are crossed.  The vacuum advance works
correctly.  I've tried changing the static timing by moving the distributor,
but I've had no success finding a spot that eliminates that bog and backfire.
At this point, I'm thinking it could be the distributor or the advance weights
inside.  Any ideas?  Instead of the stock AMC 360, it currently has a 390
(unsure whether it is a 68, 69, or '70) but with the electronic conversion
common to the later '70s vehicles (made by Motorcraft).  Does anyone familiar
with AMC engines have any suggestions?  This really hurts the drivability of
the car.

Thanks!