Open minded thoughts about Emissions, CO2 and our hobby

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Open minded thoughts about Emissions, CO2 and our hobby
From: "Steven Earl" <aeonfinity@connecticut-business.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 14:44:07 -0500
This letter states that CO2 levels will trigger a natural response in plants
that make it require less water. This is a fallacy.  Plants look towards
water for mineral and elemental properties just the same when there is a
high level of CO2.  Flora balances Fauna by "Breathing" it, and releasing
the Oxygen molecule along with other elements that it has taken in by the
water / sunlight reactions.  Increased CO2 levels that are -BEYOND- what a
plant can use (like too much O for people) will cause it to die.

But this level of CO2 is SO high that we'll run out of dino juice before
getting even close.  The issue is in barely-treed areas of California. IE-
LA.  But the problems with air quality there go more towards stripping the
land and putting up shopping malls and high-priced housing then it does from
cars.  And entire lawn of green grass will supply enough Oxygen as one tree.
It's just not efficient.   It seems it's easier to attack classic cars than
it is to attack a carefully manicured lawn.

How will it affect us?  Well.. It's only a matter of time before others
follow the CA example of emissions controls. That's the pattern. So in 10
more years - perhaps 15 years in some areas they too will adapt these
measures. So now is our time to respond. If any of us engine builders are
worth their salt - We can step up to the challenge. It will take work, but
the rewards are worth it.  Here is an example:

I have an 1987 CRX Si Honda.  It's a neat car... Totally restored and
modified for alittle more performance.  It performs well, not mind-boggling,
but what it gets it's Kudos on is it's efficiency.  I get 52 mpg with a 15
second car.  I run .73% CO2 from the tailpipe.

I know that comparing a 70's ford V8 with an 80's honda 4banger is apples
and oranges - but it IS possible to make a clean burning, well rounded
engine that can conform to the new statutes. And you'll be happy when you
have.

-> Steve