Re: setting ignition timing on an AMC 360

To: Stephen.Early@mbna.com, bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: setting ignition timing on an AMC 360
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 17:50:03
>I went to check/set the timing on my '74 (#430) this weekend and find that
>the timing marks on the AMC 360 can only be seen from an angle while
>looking
>up from underneath the car.  This makes correctly lining the timing mark up
>with the proper spot on the scale difficult.  It seems to me that to
>properly align the marks, you'd need to be able to look straight at the
>front of the engine.  The problem is the radiator, condenser, and front of
>the car are in your way.  Does anyone have any suggestions for properly
>setting the timing?
>Thanks,
>Stephen I. Early

Stephen, you are correct sir.  When I do mine I just jack up the passenger
side -- I have my mark painted white and I have the claw like timing gauge
cleaned and marked.  A good thing to use is a pen that puts out whiteout --
I got mine at a drug store -- it is sort of big (for a pen) and you squeeze
it to get it out. Kim