Re: Malfunctioning Doors

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Malfunctioning Doors
From: "alphachi" <alphachi@writeme.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 23:11:10 -0400
It's always a good idea to periodically clean and lube the solenoid
plungers.  A little Super Lube synthetic is my choice.  I had the same
mystery opening doors (I would come out and find one door open).  The
problem was two-fold.  First, some dampness(read rain) got into the outside
switch so the door would not stay latched.  Second, the plungers would not
seal completely.  Do NOT attempt to spray WD-40 into the dr switches(hard
lesson), this will only compound the problem as it will short the contacts.
In your case, I would suspect the outer dr switches.  Both Bob Hoffman and
TT have replacements, but unfortunately, these are no better (and some
believe worse) than the OEMs.  They are slightly shorter but snap right in
place, access being gained from the speaker openings.  I was planning to
work on some sort of thin black bladder that would cover and seal the switch
from the elements while still allowing it to move freely and look pretty
much the same unless upon very close inspection.  Of course if someone beats
me to it, I won't mind a bit.  Anyone that's had a B in the rain is
painfully aware of the resulting musical doors game including opening AND
closing spontaneously.  Either of these actions are not for the faint of
heart and can present even more fun than the infamous "Bricklin Crawl".
Best of luck. . .
stephan #2821

///
///