Re: Brick Cooling-------Dave

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brick Cooling-------Dave
From: "alphachi" <alphachi@writeme.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:39:50 -0400
Tanner experimented once with a single electric fan and erroneously
generalized his finding.  He has addressed the overheating problem currently
by designing a new scoop. However, at low speeds, the results are
questionable and the act of modifying the outside appearance of the Brick
along with the cost and  labor to install certainly warrants speculation as
to the feasibility of such a device.  Using a t'stat controlled 10"
Flex-a-lite twin electric in a PUSH mode in front of the radiator in tandem
with the stock mech in pull mode is not only cost effective and relatively
easy to install, it doesn't show AND it works!  Many car manufacturers due
to limited underhood space have gone with this method.   Running a 23deg
advance(read heat), 350hp (read more heat), summer rush hour Miami
traffic( read LOTS more heat), this B with the twin electrics runs 170 on
warm days, 175 high speed on the very hot days, and 190-210 in the worst 1
hour backup high noon type crawl with the a/c blowing (read cool cockpit)
full blast day.  Disconnect the fans and the temp rises rapidly.  And this
was after re-coring (jeep core), new water pump (edel), and getting rid of
the fan clutch altogether.  The con to this set-up is a much higher amp draw
which means your alternator better be in top shape, and if you have an
electric air pump, a higher output alternator is warranted.

stephan #2821