spark knock or rod knock?

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: spark knock or rod knock?
From: "Ryan Rodgers" <bricklin_2568@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:30:30 -0500
  Well, after I took out the engine after it got hot and blew a headgasket.
I figured I might as well take it out and fix the oil pan, drop the
compression on the pistons, and fix this knocking sound.  Well we replaced
the old windsor with a cleavland in 1993, it has less than 15,000 miles on
it.  The engine was as clean as a pin, no block damage, no rods knocking, no
valves broken, no spun bearings (they looked like new), nothing, besides the
head gasket, which wouldn't cause a knocking sound.  But then I noticed the
motor mount on the drivers side was broke, thats the side the spark knock
would come from.  I wondering when the engine got up high rpms it would
shake from the motor mount and cause that sound.  Well anyway I'm dropping
the compression so if I have this problem again I know it won't be a spark
knock.

                                             Ryan #2568