Re: '74 Headlight vacuum actuator

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: '74 Headlight vacuum actuator
From: Bricklin0023@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:32:57 EST
John,
   I guess that I could try to do an article on the headlights once I get some
time.....like the article that I have to do on the 5 spd conversion.
   I have moved to New York and am now 3 hours away from my car with no car to
get there.  I will be making as many trips as possible to visit my car though.
   First off....I wish that I knew the actual names of all of the parts in the
headlight system....
   As for the headlight part....I may have made it sound too good to be true.
My conversion (that someone else on the list already has) replaces the smaller
parts in the vacuum headlight system. (the vacuum operated switches that divert
the vacuum from the canister to the headlight).  So...you can loose those
vacuum switches, loose the vacuum lines to the inside of the car, not depend on
the $50 vacuum headlight switch in favor of the $15 one, and loose all of those
old hoses (because it forces you to replace them). You still have a problem if
your actuators (if that is what you call the part that actually raises and
lowers the headlight) do not work. ....I had orignally thought that was my
problem but it turned out to be the smaller parts/connections.

Jamie
In a message dated Wed, 14 Feb 2001 10:17:54 AM Eastern Standard Time, "John T.
Blair" <jblair@exis.net> writes:

<< >If you are willing to go away from the standard system...you can
>purchase a panel of electric vacuum soleniods from late 80's Dodge
>cars for around $5 in a junk yard and replace the actuators and the
>lines that run inside the passenger compartment.  I made this change
>on my car after someone else on the list posted this option when I was
>having trouble with my actuators.

This would be an interesting article for The Brickline.  Do you have
any pictures of the installation?  I'd be interested in seeing it.

I was thinking about going with Terry's air system for the
headlights.

John

///
///