Correct Oil Filter Crossover # and obsessions

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Correct Oil Filter Crossover # and obsessions
From: "alphachi" <alphachi@writeme.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 00:48:04 -0400
In reference to someone's ? regarding the correct oil filter, I recommended
AC/Delco's new Ultra Guard series, but could not remember the #.

The correct # is UPF20. which is half the length of the PF2.

I recommended this filter because 1) it has no additives like some "special"
filters, 2) it has one of the finest micron numbers, 3) it does have a check
valve, 4) it has one of the least restrictive mediums,  and 5) it fits.

At the risk of insulting those who already know this, they are important
enough to mention for those who may not.
One thing I discovered was that whether Fram, or AC, Purolator, or others is
that often the check valve does not function properly, or it's missing
entirely.  Frams made in Mexico are often guilty of this, at least in the
past.   So, even though you may get a strange look or two at the auto parts
shop, it's good to test that valve by blowing in and then sucking out thru
the center.  The flow should be only in one direction (sucking out), and you
should either feel the valve close positively, or better yet, not get any
initial  flowback at all, none.  Remember, at least 50% of the wear on
internal motor parts occurs on start ups.

On priming the oil filter: some believe filling the filter with oil prior to
installation helps protect on initial start up (the above rule applies).
This is more important if using organic oils rather than synthetics.  But it
can get messy in a crowded engine compartment.    And of course, lube the
gasket prior to tightening the filter.

Finally, about this "hand tighten" thing.   Ok, maybe I'm the woosiest 6'
205 lb guy, but I've always had to use the filter wrench for a 1/2-3/4 turn
past hand tighten to achieve a leak free seating of the gasket.   There,
I've admitted it.

stephan #2821