California Residents of Bricklin International

To: <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: California Residents of Bricklin International
From: "Kevin" <kevin_hand@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 18:59:41 -0700
To all California Residents of BI, or BI e-mail list subscribers:

I'm writing this to Bricklin enthusiasts whether or not they currently own a
Bricklin.  Though directed at California residents, I welcome responses from
anyone that would have an interest in attending single day or weekend events
(both no car judging), and multi-day/state regional meets with car judging,
etc.

I've noted a couple of comments on this e-mail list related to the lack of a
2000 Western Regional event.  I too am disappointed, but the reality is that
no one had volunteered to host the event, and that indictment includes me...

That being said, I want to see us gather more frequently at events that are
fun, sometimes informative (tech sessions), easy to organize and as a
result, are well attended by anyone that has an interest in our Bricklins.

Here is who I am, and what I'm prepared to do with your input and help:

I've been a Bricklin admirer since the car came out.  Frustrated for nearly
24 years, I finally purchased my car, a white '74 4-speed that was a basket
case.  I wrote an article that appeared in the last Brickline so I won't
recount the tale of woes that I've gone through with the car.  I currently
expect to have the car in September.

I joined both Bricklin International and California Bricklin Owners (CBO)
last year around April and have attended the CBO events regularly, including
the 1999 Western Regional last regional meet held in Nevada that was ably
and graciously hosted by Kurt and Faye Kramer.  In search of as much
information as possible, I even joined the Organization of Bricklin Owners
(OBO) last August.  I will be attending the 2000 BI meet in Ypsilanti this
July.

Though I joined the listed clubs, I was hesitant to take an active role
beyond attending events due to a possible move relating to my employment.
That situation has settled and I'm firmly rooted in California for at least
another year.  That being the case, I'm now willing and able to become
significantly involved in the clubs.

Some of the CBO board members have asked me to take a leadership position in
our club.  I've accepted pending further discussions with the other CBO
board members and their ongoing commitment to help me by sharing their
knowledge and time to guide me in this effort.  Clearly for this to be a
successful undertaking, I will rely on them to share their wealth of
knowledge both of the car and their experiences in putting on many years
successful events.

My efforts and their continued involvement in CBO and BI is not enough
though...

I'm asking you to do the following:

1.  Participate first by sharing your view of the CBO club, both good and
bad.  All I ask is that if bad, you also make recommendations on what should
be done to improve.

2.  Building on #1, tell me what you want to see from CBO in the way of
events in the way of content.  What will make you WANT to participate in CBO
events.  Some ideas might include technical sessions, events built around
good food (restaurants or even just bar-b-ques or picnics), entertainment,
events built around cars in general...city or town car cruise nights
organized by hot rod/classic car clubs with Bricklins joining in?  This is
just a beginning...what other ideas do you have?

3.  Recognizing the incredible demands placed on everyone's time, how often
should we schedule events?

4.  In order to plan effectively and to get YOUR COMMITMENT TO ATTEND, what
kind of advance notice will work so you can plan effectively?  Please don't
be afraid of the "C" word (commitment).

5.  Would you be willing to HELP organize and event in your area based upon
your knowledge of events like those listed in #2 above?  NOTE I SAID HELP,
NOT DO IT ALL if you volunteer an idea or volunteer to organize something in
your area.  You have my commitment to help you!

6.  Lastly, please spread the word about this effort.

I will also contact known car owners, CBO members past and present, BI
members past or present...all of whom were last known to be in California.
Again, though I have aimed this at California residents, my offer is open to
others that would be willing to attend events in the Western Region of the
U.S.

Please feel free to respond via e-mail or to call me if you would like to
talk one-on-one.  I can usually be reach at night during the week from 7-10
PM (Pacific daylight or standard time) and Saturday or Sunday any time.  If
you get my voice mail, please leave your name & telephone number and your
location so I can call you back.

Thank you for taking the time to read this "open letter"...I hope you will
participate in this effort, even if it is in a small way.

We all start out by taking little steps!

Sincerely,

Kevin Hand, #462
909-597-7414