887 progress report

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: 887 progress report
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 22:12:56 -0400
Hey Gang.

   Well after 5 years of working on 887 today was a RED letter day.
About 7:30pm this evening, she breathed for the first time since 95!

With the help of my neighbor, Jim - who you all read about in the
Brickline every now and then, we managed to get her fired.  We had
some problems:

First we had to move 4 cars out of the drive way.  There is so much
junk in my garage, I was affraid to try and fire her in there.  If
anything happened, there would be no way to stop it - I was really
affraid of fire!  So we pushed 887 out into the driveway, and had
several fire extinguisher around.

I took the battery out of my Spit and hooked up some jumper cables to
try and get power to start her.  But when we first tried to start her,
she wouldn't even trigger the starter solenoid.

The ignition switch was not indexed correctly, and now giving power to
the starter solenoid.  After resetting the ign. switch, we finally got
the starter solenoid to file.  But we didn't have a good enough connection
to the battery that I'd set on the ground and connected with jumper cables.

We ended up with another battery in parallel and 2 sets of jumpers.
Finally got her to spin up.  As she spun, the oil pressure slowly car
up.  Over 70#!!!. Then it was time to hook up the coil wire and try to
breath live back into her.  She wouldn't fire.  Not even a pop.

So we started checking for spark.  No spark.  I had replaced the coil and
the ign. module.  So we switched the ign. module to the orig. one that
had last fired her some 5 years ago.  Still no spark.  We replaced the
coil and still nothing.

After taking several voltage readings, we couldn't find anything wrong.
Finally we found a bad connection at the coil.  Fixed that - actually,
we broke the stupid plastic coil connector when we were changing coils.
So we duck taped the connector to the coil.  Finally spark!!!!

We prime the carb, and the engine sprang to live!!!!  WHAT A TRIP!!!
As she started comming up to temp, we checked the xmission.  However,
we hadn't put any brake fluid in the system yet, so we double chocked
all the wheels and moved the gear lever through the gears.  Nothing.

I figured that the pump had finally started moving all the xmission
fluid and we needed more.  So after adding another quart of xmission
fluid she started to buck as we moved the shift lever.

The last problem, as the xmission fluid started going through the
xmission and filling the torque converter we started hearing some
funny grinding noises.  So we shut her down.  We think the problem
might be a loose torque converter.  So my next job will be pulling
the inspection plate and checking all the bolt on the torque converter.

BUT SHE FIRED!!!!!

What a shot in the arm!!!!

We cleaned the garage, and pushed the Brick back into her bedroom.
It's now about 9:30 and we turn the lights out for the night.  One
hell-of-a day!!!

Hope you all had a good day also.

John

Went through