Re: Carb vs FI

To: jgarru01@longisland.poly.edu
Subject: Re: Carb vs FI
From: GLCurley@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 15:22:59 EST
> but read or talk to any person about import cars
>and they would laugh at that statement.

>But in real performance applications, and
>new cars, you will never see a carb.

I have to say that is not my experience.  In racing in Europe, and at least
with RX7's there and here, many people prefer to use carbs when rules allow
it.  Still depends who you ask.  I agree with the rest of what you said but
it is really emissions regulations that drive what is in new cars, so of
course they are going to use FI.  Not sure what you mean by "real perforamnce
applications," but if you're talking about heavily sponsored multi-million $
teams, they have the resources to make FI work, and even then there are
categories of high level racing where FI is seldom seen.  However, often it
is what the rules dictate. Interestingly, even with a "stock" performance car
like RX7s, dealers are mostly useless; there are about 4 commercial shops in
the country that really know what they are doing with respect to the twin
turbo FI.  Complexity is not something to overlook.

George Curley