California Smog

To: <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: California Smog
From: "Kevin" <kevin_hand@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 19:44:22 -0800
This is to all members who've lived or had a Bricklin smogged in California,
especially the 74's:

I'm in the process of having Terry Tanner restore a 1974 4-speed and have
been told I should replace the carburetor rather than rebuild the existing
one for a number of reasons...but he is concerned about having me pass CA
smog requirements.

The recommended replacement is a Holley carb that is listed as 50 State EPA
compliant with all the correct pollution control/vacuum connections.  I plan
on leaving the intake & exhaust manifolds, camshaft and everything else
unchanged.  All other smog equipment is present and will be hooked up.  My
hope and expectation is that this will result in a car that will pass both
the visual and emissions tests.

Has anyone had their car pass in stock configuration, or updated in the
manner I've described?  I've heard many horror stories about smogging our
cars and the difficulties encountered once you've been referred to a
"referee station".

Originally I had hoped that my car would have been exempt from CA smog
requirements due to age (had been told that cars >25 years old were exempt)
but research shows that barring some sort of further administrative action
by the state, from now on, only cars 30 years or older will be exempted from
CA smog requirements.  CA had been roughly following a pattern that had them
exempt a few models years at a time that generally coincided with the "25
year old" exempt practice.  The last decreed exemption took place a couple
of years ago with the "30 year old" exception being left in place for all
future model years.

So then,  what experiences have you all had?  Has anyone dealt and passed
this hurdle?

Thanks for all of your help!

Kevin Hand