Re: Getting 1758 Road Ready

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Getting 1758 Road Ready
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 16:45:01 -0500
At 11:34 PM 2/10/00 PST, Riley Marquis III wrote:

>I was wondering if JT systems west is still around.  The contact info I have
>is:
>JT Systems
>219 south 3rd ave #6
>La Puente, CA
>(213) 333-0343
>Jeff Neal

Riley,

   The T in JTs is Terry Tanner.  I don't have any current info on Jeff Neal.
As to a shop in CA. the only one is Stan Fransen in Chino.

>If not, where in CA can I get work done on 1758?  I'm trying to put her back
>together, but I will need some help.  One big potential problem is in the
>fuse box.  If you take it apart there are two parts: one from under the hood
>to a big thing full of spade connectors, and the other turns the spade
>connectors into fuse holders.  All the spade connectors look like they've
>been lubricated with vaseline.  Is this normal?  Could it cause major
>trouble like an electrical fire?  how hard is it to fix?  can I clean the
>existing or does the part require replacement?

The vaseline stuff is probably dialectric past.  Unless you've had a fire
or some other major problem, the fuse block should be fine.  You may have
to take the fuses out of their holders and clean the holder and fuses.  I
also strongly suggest that you clean all the connectors, check for broken
wire (especially at the spade connectors), etc.

If you have lots of money feel free to replace the harness.  Typical cost
for the harness /w fuse block (only 1 of the 8 harness in the car) is about
$300.  To completely replace all the harnesses is about $1,000.