Re: 75 rear drums

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 75 rear drums
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 22:20:29 -0400
At 08:12 PM 6/23/99 -0700, George Iluk wrote:

>I am trying to remove the rear brake drums for inspection . And have
>removed the 3 bolts on the drum and it is still tight.

George,

   I think your drums are just stuck.  The cotter pin and nut do NOT
need to be removed!!  Ensure that your emergency brake is OFF.  If
that isn't your problem, can you rotate the wheels or have your brake
shoes frozen to the drums?  If so, try carefully tapping on the outter
back edge of the drum and see if you can't drive the drum off.

If your drums will turn, then the shoes are NOT frozen.  Try backing off
on the brake adjusters.  Quite often, there is a lip that forms from wear
on the outter edge of the drum and the shoes hang on it.  But backing off
on the adjusters, you move the shoes in enough to NOT hang on this lip.

>Is removal of the cotter pin/nut part of the drum removal or is it part
>of a seal? Is the cotter pin/nut have any torque requirements

The cotter pin/nut are used to hold the hub on the axle.  And yes there is
a torque requirement if you loosen that nut.  It is 165 foot pounds of
torque!!!

Good luck

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org