Re: heat/ac

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: heat/ac
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 21:57:11 -0400
At 06:15 AM 6/12/99 PDT, Alan Coleman <colemaal@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I pulled out my dash last night and I could not believe the amount of duct
>tape that the factory had used to seal connections and large gaps. While I
>have the car apart, I'd like to make some improvements in this area and have
>a few questions.
>
>1. Has anyone installed the aux. blower motor that Terry sells? Where
>exactly does it go?? Does it connect to the already overloaded blower
>switch??

Alan, I haven't installed one, but I believe that there is a vertical door
on the heater box just before it dumps to the AC box.  The new fan goes
in that door.  Don't know about where it gets it's power from.

>2. Because of the amount of current that runs through the blower switch, I
>have had to replace it once because of meltdown (only once because I haven't
>driven the car more than 500 miles in the last 17 years). Has anyone devised
>a way to have the switch connect to a relay or relays to control the
>blower?? If so could you share the info??

I haven't done it yet, but, I believe it is relatively simple.
I'm sending you info on this in a private email.  Once we get the bugs
worked out, we can write an article for the magazine.

>3. What is the best way to seal the connections and fill in some of the
>gaps?? The duct tape I took off was fossilized and was not working to seal
>the connections. What about the careful use of expandable foam that comes in
>cans??

Terry sells a modified mounting kit for the AC box.  It is basically new
mounting brackets that will allow the AC box to align with the heater box.
This kit is about $50.

>4. All of the foam rubber that is supposed to serve as insulation around the
>unit is rotted. What is suggested in this area??

You can get foam rubber sheets from numerious sources and replace the foam
on the various doors of the heater box.

Hope this helps.

John
>Alan  #246

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org