RE: Bricklin weight

To: Bricklin <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bricklin weight
From: Phil Martin <pmartin@isgtec.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 17:37:45 -0400
If you really want to reduce the weight:

Replace the frame with an aluminum chassis designed for greater stiffness.
==============
Thought about it.  If I was starting now, I'd probably go for it, since the
project has gotten a lot hairier since it started...

==============
Drill lots of holes in the birdcage.
==============
That's a good idea - I hadn't thought of that.  With the roll cage that's
going in, there shouldn't be any safety-related problems with that.  What
about those heavy doors deforming the weakened birdcage?

==============
Replace the body panels with carbon fiber replacements.
==============
It's on the wishlist, but it's not gonna happen.  Sure would be cool,
though...

==============
Get a Keith Black aluminum block and heads.
==============
>From my research, an aluminum block isn't all that much lighter than the
cast-iron part.  But they are a lot stronger because they've got soooo much
extra gusseting etc.  But for my power target (~350-400hp), that strength is
totally unnecessary.

But I'll go you one better - I'm replacing the V8 & FMX tranny with a
turobcharged Mazda 13B rotary plus RX-7 tranny.  Total dressed weight is
almost 400lbs less than the 351 with FMX (even with aluminum heads, intake,
and headers).  The single exhaust will save some more weight too...

==============
Install all aluminum  / titanium suspension parts and prop shaft.
==============
Prop shafts and trailing arms in the rear IRS are steel, everything else
will be aluminum.

==============
Get an aluminum cased manual tranny.
==============
Already there.

==============
You could probably get the weight down to 2,500.  Of course it will cost big
bucks.
Yeah, bigger than I've got, by a few 10's of 1000's of dollars. ;)  The guy
working with me on the chassis thinks we can get it down to 3000 at the
most, but I'm still pretty skeptical.  If it ends up under 3200, I'll think
we've accomplished a hell of a lot.
--
Phil Martin                             pmartin@surgnav.com
"I'm a Charger, charging through the night,