Re: A/C Refrigerant leak

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A/C Refrigerant leak
From: Isensee@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 14:22:03 EDT
In a message dated 8/29/98 2:32:53 AM Central Daylight Time, GodlyKrew@aol.com
writes:

<< 1758 has a refridgerant leak.  I had my mechanic put in 1lb of refridgerant
 and he says it leaked out the filter/dryer.  He also said that in order to
 replace the filter/dryer, it was necessary to pull the dash.  >>

I assume you mean the receiver/drier. That's located between the front bumper
and the radiator so there is no need to do anything under the dash to replace
it. I think Terry has found someone to rebuild them. The local AC shop I went
to couldn't find an exact match, but found one that works fine although it
looks a bit different. It is mounted in a spot where it will seldom be seen so
I wouldn't worry about that unless you plan to show the car and are concerned
about points.

>>R12 is completely outlawed<<

R12 isn't manufactured anymore, but you can still buy it. It has gotten quite
expensive. However, converting to R134a reduces the efficiency of your AC and
it is best to replace several parts when converting. I intend to keep using
R12 until something major goes wrong and the whole system needs to be
refilled. There are also R12 replacement such as FR12 coming on the market
which you can switch to without replacing anything.

Scott Isensee