How does heater control etc. work?

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: How does heater control etc. work?
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 20:10:16 PDT
It looks like it is a vacuum operated valve that opens and lets hot
water in to the heater core.  Is that valve normally opened or closed,
assuming that the vacuum line is removed? With the dash slider all the
way to cool, should there be vacuum to the valve?  With vacuum there, is
the valve open?  Do I have to take out the whole dash to replace the
heater core?  I threw some freon r-12 in today and it looks like the air
conditioner is going to work okay, but has anyone done the Tanner thing
and is it worth it? Thanks, Kim.