Re: Window mechanism

To: Lbc302@aol.com, Bricklin@autox.team.net, bricklingeorge@email.msn.com
Subject: Re: Window mechanism
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 17:52:30 PDT
I did not have the same experience.  I bought the kit from Tanner and
found it barely adequate.  First, Tanner had me weld the u shaped piece
on top of the roller channel (not along side), so that now my window
does not go down that extra inch or so.  The good part of this, though,
is that the window is put through less stress in all positions.  But I
may have traded this off for the lower window -- Tanner did not tell me
and I did not know the car well enough to figure it out myself before
hand.

The real disappointment was in attaching the glass to the channel.  As
part of the kit is a tube of very expensive German glue and a couple of
rubber gaskets that fit between the glass and u shaped piece.  I
cleaned, glued and installed everything three times without success (the
third time I tried RTV silicone and it also didn't work).  Then I went
to a local glass shop here in San Francisco and the guy was extremely
helpful. He looked at the u shaped piece and said he had all kinds of
that (it is a common auto glass piece) and he suggested that I install
the window like all of the other windows he does, either with a super
adhesive that he has that will never come off or, just use a couple of
rubber gaskets and hammer the window in.  I choose the second and, wham,
wham, the window was in place.  Plus, he didn't want to charge me
anything even though he supplied the new rubber gaskets (I gave him some
money anyway).  The bad thing is that I only had the driver's window out
at the time and the passenger's is still sort of help with the RTV stuff
-- I was too tired of putting those windows in and out and I just
haven't done it yet.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I definitely think that it is important to
support our parts vendors.  This time, though, I felt that I got sold
volkswagon parts at a cadillac price and the parts just didn't work. I
think that this method of attaching the windows is better than the
original, but I think that the way the glass man did it is even better
still.  Of course, had the glue worked right, I would be singing the
praises of that method!  Kim

> Claude,do not know of a crossreference for the window regulator.
Tanner and