Re: On the road again....Almost

To: bricklin@autox.team.net, David.Barkase@CA.EYI.COM
Subject: Re: On the road again....Almost
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 19:06:50 PDT
Congrats on the decision. As to the problem that you have, the exact
same thing happened to me. I am very mechanical but I had never torn
apart a steering wheel assembly before and I really am glad that I
didn't do it this time.  I had another guy who is on this list, and who
is a full time mechanic, do it for me.  There were several tools that he
had that made what would be a fairly difficult job much easier and I
watched as he did he. He said that it was a common gm design and nothing
in there that he found was unexpected. The problem was the pall that
locks the wheel by springing into a notch rings.  That thing had gotten
a bit corroded and just wouldn't pull back as it was supposed to.  The
funny thing is that it happened on a car that I started fairly
frequently but had not started for about a month and wham, it was stuck.
I asked Anthony to write a quick article on it and perhaps when I have
him do my other Bricklin I can take the photos and he can do it.

Some of the tools you need are a steering wheel puller (that thing is
really wedged on there), a little device that  I think is unique to gm
wheels that sort of acts like a gear puller in reverse to compress a
collar and spring to give access to a snap ring and another tool (if I
remember) that helps to screw another part in and out (I am a bit unsure
about this one).  Total time for someone with knowledge and tools is
about one hour. Without tools or knowledge you would be running around
trying to get them and spending about 3-4 hours figuring everything out.
But, if you decide to do it yourself, look through some Chiltons or
Clymers for a similar tilt wheel and go for it. Kim