Re: Headlight Switch

To: bricklin@autox.team.net, scottolson@cascon.com
Subject: Re: Headlight Switch
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 21:56:46 PDT
Scott, I just wrote an article on all of this, it may be in the next
Brickline. The way it works is simple (but maybe you have a non-original
headlight switch because on an original the switch has both electrical
and vacuum connectors).  On the original, there are two vacuum
connectors at the end of the switch and that is plumbed in line with
that "emergency" switch. Actually all the emergency switch does is
exactly what the main headlight switch does, but it does it without
turning the lights off.  In other words, with the emergency switch
pulled down, the headlights stay up whether electrically on or off.  The
way they work is that both switches (since they are inline) shut off
vacuum to the relay or relays depending on the number of your car.
Anyway, with no vacuum, the relay(s) default to provide vacuum to the
rear of the actuator and the headlights open. If all that wasn't clear,
write back with your questions. Kim