Re:Eng. only run in Start pos.

To: WUZNTME2@aol.com
Subject: Re:Eng. only run in Start pos.
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 19:22:44 -0400
At 12:30 AM 4/7/98 EDT, Michael Casiello wrote:

>My Bricklin wont run. It will start, but as soon as I let the key
>returns to the " run " position, the engine dies. if I keep the
>ignition key turned, like when you start the car, it will continue
>to run, and so will the starter..

Another possibility might be the starter solenoid or the ign. switch.
You need to check pull each of the SMALL connectors on the solenoid and
measure the voltage on each wire in the "run" and "start" position.

Looking down on the solenoid from the top, the connector on the right
is the "start" lead.  When you turn the ign. switch to "start" this
lead should be hot and cause the solenoid to fire and let the starter
run.

The small lead on the left is the coil feed I beleive.  This lead should
be hot in both the run and start positions.

I'm fighting a problem on a 74 now, where the car will NOT start.  The
solenoid is NOT getting the start signal.  Let me know what you find
out and I'll try to put all this together in an article for one of
the upcomming issues of The Brickline.

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V