RE: Catastrophic failure on 618

To: "'K M'" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Catastrophic failure on 618
From: "Olson, Scott" <scottolson@cascon.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 21:01:30 -0500
I noticed that previously on my car that It wouldn't stay running.  I
replaced quite a bit of gear on the inlet side of the engine (carb,
intake manifold, fueld pump, fuel filter, fuel lines) and although it
would idle better it would still die.  After kicking the car repeatedly
for a few minutes for misbehaving I decided to start testing spark.  The
spark was there, but didn't seem strong.  I replaced the coil (I
replaced with a supercoil, but I am sure that is not necessary) and the
engine fired and ran smoothly.  I would check the voltage at the coil
and see if it wavers or starts to drop.  I noticed on my old one that
when it got hot was when the car would start to die.

Another question.  When I purchased the car it had an electric fuel
pump.  After a few hours of use, the new looking fuel pump died.  I
purchased a new electric fuel pump a few weeks ago, and after a combined
use of about three hours, it has now died.  Could there be blockage in
the fuel line?  The car ran fine for the three hours that it did so.  It
isn't the power because the car turns over nicely.  The fuel pump just
stopped making noise and died.  Are Electric Fuel pumps supposed to make
noise?  Does anyone strongly recommend going back to the mechanical fuel
pump?