Must I loosen front fender to remove shock?

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Must I loosen front fender to remove shock?
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 13:02:07 PST
On a 74 is there an easier way, other than cutting the fender away, to
remove the front shocks?  One persone responded and said it was easy to
loosen the fender -- is it only necessary to loosen the two visible
bolts in the engine compartment to get enough give to pop that tower cap
off?  The issue, of course, are the protrouding bolts that hold the cap
(shock mount) in position.  When these are loose, there is not enough
"clearance" to lift the cap up and over the ends of the bolts.  I
appreciate any help on this.  Kim.