radiators

To: "GREGORY MONFORT" <WINGRACER@msn.com>
Subject: radiators
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 17:51:45 -0400
At 03:17 PM 7/2/97 UT, GREGORY MONFORT wrote:
>In '80 I had to replace the radiator in my '75. I try to keep all my
>records, but I can't find this one. Grrrr!

>... Since only the core was damaged on my radiator I had a shop install
>my original header to the new radiator. The shop told me what the header
>was originally used for, but my notes were on the invoice.

Greg et al.

  My notes indicate that it is from:

   Radiator              74           Matador Coupe (avail. from Redi- Rad)
                                        Note: 4 core block too easly

I've also been told that the top has to be modified.  So what Greg did,
by replacing the core is what should be done if at all possible.  I'm
in the market for a new radiator myself.  Just don't have the money right
now to run down to the radiator shop and have one made.

BTW, while we're on this subject, one of the other mailing lists I'm on
had some info on additives to add to the water to help cool the engine.

    a. Water Wetter - from Redline
    b. 40 below -

below is an excerpt of the post
-----------------
From: "Robert L. Sachs" <rsachs@itsa.ucsf.edu>
Subject: engine cooling

   Every time I get in the car, I am amazed again.  This stuff is really
magic.  It really seems to work.  The Water Wetter from Red Line did
absolutely nothing.  I used it for two summer seasons, and it was worse
than nothing, because it gave a false sense of security.

   This product is made by Pro-Blend Chemical Company, Motor Sports
Products, Division, Industrial Lubricants.  They are Post Office Box 5854,
Winston-Salem, NC 27113.  Phone 910/723-9403 or 800/331-9520, FAX
910/761-0388, Technical 910/723-9404 (I spoke with "Bud").

   There are two products.  First is '40 Below' Part No. 4032, or 'Stops
Overheating' Part No. 4033 (they are both the same thing in different
packaging).  Procedure: drain and flush cooling system, premix 1 quart of
product with 1/2 gallon of distilled water in a clean bucket, add 1 quart
of antifreeze (ethylene glycol, not propylene glycol, if available), add 8
ounces of anti-rust product (water pump lubricant with rust preventer), and
pour into radiator, run engine and top up with distilled water.  Second,
change oil and add 8 ounces of 'Engine Racing Concentrate' Part No. 8080
(good for about 10,000 miles or every third oil change) to engine oil.  I
think the cooling system treatment should be repeated every spring, the oil
treatment as required.

   It works!  After years of sweating the temperature, I now relax.  I only
resort to using the electric fan in extreme conditions.  The temperature in
most normal circumstances is steady at 180 and does not vary.  On very hot
days (80 and above) it gets to about 190.  Add trafic and a long pull
uphill, and it goes a little higher, but comes right down with the electric
fan.

Has anyone tried 40 Below?

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire