Re: FW: About to make the plunge (Rust)

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: FW: About to make the plunge (Rust)
From: GLCurley@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 23:40:35 -0400 (EDT)
When you check for rust, you have to worry about rust from the INSIDE of the
frame.  Since the car has a steel tube frame, you can't see the inside and
rust can get far along without being obvious.  Look very carefully,
especially for bubbling or bulging at the ends of the torque boxes.  This is
the part behind the front wheel.  As far as driving in snow goes, you are
depending on all the other people on the road to control their cars as well.
 I live near Washington also and there are a lot of people driving here who
have never even seen snow before.  Personally, I am cautious about taking a
plastic body out in the cold, I don't know if it does get more fragile, but
better safe than sorry as there is jarring and stress on the body just from
normal driving, even without all the DC potholes.  Car and Driver reported
the weight distribution as about 56/44 front to rear, but I don't know if
that accounted for fuel and occupants, so it could potentially be closer to
50/50.  (For better traction in snow, get a rear engine Porsche--they are
plentiful and disposable.)  I am not an expert but I do own three Bricklins
so if you want, I could look at the car for you and give you an opinion and
some suggestions.  Congratulations and good luck.
--George