Re: racing

To: Pugsracer@aol.com
Subject: Re: racing
From: JISBELLJR@mail.utexas.edu (Jim Isbell)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:42:08 -0600 (CST)
>Sounds like you have upgraded your Brick quite a bit. Are you installing the
>brace Terry made?

No, I designed my own after talking with Terry he didnt like mine and
designed the one you have.  My brace is adjustable so you can set the camber
from under the hood!  What Terry didnt like about mine was the fact that you
could not use the stock air cleaner.  So he decided to design one that
cleared the ais cleaner.

> What kind of shocks are you
>running and where did you get them. Mine are original and the car just sort
>of floats and bounces down the course when we have raced it.

I have KYB shocks on mine.  Got them at the parts store.  If I remember
correctly, either the front or the rears are from a Mustang.

>The holley i
>installed is the replacement for the original motorcraft. We didnt seem to
>have too much problem with it in the turns.

The Holly wont give you any problem especialy if you have the one with the
crossmountedfloats.  The Motocraft will spill gas out of the float bowl onto
the venturi on hard right turns because the float bowl dosent have a top.

>Although we did have problems
>with launches. It seems that you really have to work with the clutch to keep
>the revs up on launch i.e. a quick start and the car tends to bog. I am not
>sure if that is carburation or rear end gearing

I dont have that problem. Automatic.

>So what is 707 tranny?

I should have said 747.  Its the Crysler 747 Torque Flight.  It can shift
better than the best drag racer with a manual.  That was the stock
transmission on the automatic bricks.  I have heard that they will out shift
the manuals.

>Again my car is stock and it eats throw out bearings
>like candy. It always has. This car has been  in the family since new as my
>father was a Bricklin dealer and those bearings don't last long which is
>getting old. If you have any thoughts or experience with this problem let me
>know. I have heard that there was an alignment problem or something to that
>effect on some cars but the more i think about it, it seems that it has to be
>simpler than that. I mean something is making that bearing stay in contact
>with the pressure plate.

Since I dont have a throw out bearing I dont know the answer to your
question.  Ask Terry, he knows everything.

> Did you take off the rear trailing arms? I
>have been told that they may be a hinderance to good handling.

The first thing I did when I got the car!!!  They were not designed
properly. You can either remove them or lengthen them to the end of the
spring.  Removing them is easier and it gives you room to put the Adco anti
roll bar.

         JIM I.

If God had intended fibreglass boats he would have planted fiberglass trees.

1970 XKE 2+2
1974 Bricklin
1978 Roberts 44' steel ketch, "Millennium Falcon"
         "Its the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs."
Han Solo
1979 Lola T540 Formula Atlantic
1985 XJS
1985 XJ6