bmcu

Re: [Bmcu] Alpine loop details

To: Dylan Thurston <dylan.thurston@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Bmcu] Alpine loop details
From: Gary Lindstrom <gary@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 19:13:25 -0600
Dylan and Jess,

Please do join us.  This will be the 20th anniversary of the event that
led to the event's formation, so it will be an especially significant
and nostalgic event.

The route from South Towne Mall will be along the I-15 frontage road
(east side) over the divide between Salt Lake and Utah county valleys,
to SR 92, then east to Alpine UT (actually, SR 92 divides Alpine and
Highland UT).  This will be a rest stop and rendezvous point for those
joining from the south (or elsewhere).

Then we'll go up Alpine Canyon, past Timpanogos National Monument, and
over the crest of the Wasatch -- one of the most spectacular roads in
northern Utah.  Then down past Sundance Resort (with a wave to Robby
Redford), to US 189.  Then up Provo Canyon past Deer Creek Reservoir,
into Heber City and the BBQ at Heber City Park.

We expect to get to the park about noon, enjoy the food and raffle for
an hour or so, and then head back home in ad hoc groups according to
individual schedules and interest (e.g., some folks will be stopping in
Park City to see the Austin-Healey car show).

There will be burgers etc. provided at the picnic, though you probably
will want to bring your own drinks (alcohol is a No-No in the park however).

To see the map of the area, try:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=salt+lake+city,+ut&ie=UTF8&ll=40.501531,-111.634827&spn=0.437012,0.462112&t=h&z=11

Hope to see you there!
        --Gary Lindstrom
        BMCU newsletter editor and webmaster

p.s. If you're interested in more history, see
http://www.britishmotorclub.org/news/2007/jan07.pdf pp. 2-3.