From The Modesto Bee Online: Yellow flag should be out for

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: From The Modesto Bee Online: Yellow flag should be out for
From: JamesRmartin@comcast.net (Jim)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 13:15:40 -0500
Jim sent you the following article
from The Modesto Bee Online (http://www.modbee.com)

You may read this article in its entirety at
http://www.modbee.com/opinion/story/13115424p-13763784c.html.

This article is protected by copyright and may
not be printed or distributed for anything except
personal use.

Comments from Jim:

Yellow flag should be out for Merced racetrack

Published: Friday, December 15th, 2006

Which makes more noise: a B-52 accelerating for takeoff, or 40 cars at full
throttle chasing each other around a
racetrack? Well, they didn't call the movie about NASCAR racing 'Days of
Thunder' for nothing.

Worse than the noise from internal combustion is the residue -- faintly
sweet-smelling blue smoke that pollutes the air.

For all its noise and commotion -- maybe because of it -- racing is the most
popular spectator sport in the world. Its fans
are devoted, dedicated and legion. That's as true in the Northern San Joaquin
Valley as anywhere. That's why we applaud
the decision early Wednesday morning by Merced County supervisors to move
forward with plans for Riverside Motorsports
Park.

The track will give thousands of fans and racers an outlet. Without it, a sport
that has long thrived in this area will suffer,
and so will the businesses that have grown up around it.

The vote to accept the developers' environmental impact report was but the
first step of many more to come. If Foster
Farms and the Federal Bureau of Prisons take their objections to court, the
track might never open. It would be better to
resolve differences through negotiation.

We hope those who object will realize that some of the best racers in the world
come from around here. World champions
Kenny Roberts (Sr. and Jr.) started here, as did NASCAR's Ernie Irvan and local
legends Dan Reed of Riverbank, Kenny
Boyd of Ceres and Modesto's Belletto family. Their fans need a place to watch
their favorites.

Still, many schemes for new tracks have come and gone. A few years ago, some
local folks wanted to build a track near
downtown Modesto -- where the Gateway Parcel of the Tuolumne River Regional
Park is being created today. Others have
fantasized about building a track at Crows Landing.

Our support is tempered with the knowledge that racers are famous for many
things -- including cutting corners. Many are
fond of saying, 'If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'.' That's why it is
vital that Merced County hold track developers to
every promise they've made -- and then some. Plans for traffic mitigation
aren't nearly good enough. A mass-transit plan
should be required. Neighbors must be shielded from the worst impacts of noise.

Motorsports fans are devoted and appreciative. We also want them to be
respectful of what they have been granted -- a
fantastic place to play.

Merced supervisors made a difficult but good choice. As we applaud their
decision, we also offer a warning: Proceed with
caution.