Shaving

To: "autox" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shaving
From: "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 23:42:33 -0700
Don,
I have had tires shaved at Roger Kraus.  They were new.  Many shops that
shave won't touch a tire that has been on the street, fearing for their
cutting blades vs. rocks, etc.  Tire Rack will shave and heat cycle, I
think, but I had my tires shaved at RKR (Falken because TR doesn't sell 'em,
can't remember why on the Yokohamas).

IIRC, RKR charges different amounts to mount tires based on rim diameter.
17's were significantly higher.  I don't think that the shaving costs
changed, can't remember how much it was, $25 a tire?

The hot tip is the deep dark secret passed along to me by a Reno
autocrosser - if you take tires to a retreading shop, they will shave them
no matter if they've been run.  They shave ALL their tires before
retreading.  However I have not had to use this  knowledge yet and can't
recall a retreader in the Bay Area off the toppa my head.