Smog

To: "autox" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Smog
From: "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 18:52:34 -0700
Carl,
In the old days this was easier.  I bought my first car after the seller
provided a smog from a "friendly" shop like this.  And even without the smog
stuff, once it was warm that car would pass the applicable standard.  When I
sold it, was to a dealer.

However it's a "lose your license" type violation now.  Even if someone tells
you that a shop will do this for you, go in and ask for a pre-test and
inspection.  For these as I understand they don't have to have the computer
hooked to Sacramento to instantly brand you as a gross polluter, which happens
during the regular test.  Happened to me when I had a bad EGR hose, it's a
real PITA, though this car also passed ALL of the tailpipe requirements.  And
you'll get an idea whether they are going to help you out with your special
request.

Paul T.

    From: "Carl Merritt" <cmerritt@luminous.com>
    Subject: RE: Creative smog ideas welcome :)

    If the car will pass tail pipe emissions on the rollers, then what's the
    big deal?  There must be somebody on this list who knows somebody who
    will care less about visual inspection no?

    - -Carl