RE: Falken FK-451

To: ba-autox@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Falken FK-451
From: pault151@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 22:10:02 +0000
Scott forwarded:
>Hypothetical question: You're an English guy, living in your native
>land but working for an American company. Your employer offers you a
>relocation to the U.S.. You decide to go. You find out that you can
>bring one car with you without having to pass EPA or NHTSA
>requirements, providing the car is at least 25 years old. Given that
>opportunity, what would you bring?

Well, dunno if my choices would be something that couldn't have been gotten
here at all, or were just unlikely to find here.  I've got an old road test of
the Aston DBS-V8 I think it was, which was good for an honest 170MPH.  Or one
of the Jensen FF Interceptors, the big Chizler V8 / AWD saloon.  Always wanted
to see what one of those would do.  Could I afford either, or afford to pay for
their maintenance on another continent that had hardly ever seen one?  Probably
not.  Which makes bringing one of either here an exercise more in "importing
what could be sold for the most" rather than being able to bring in a practical
daily driver.

> But no. He brought a 1972 Trabant 601. ....
>(I think I talked him into bringing it to the next autocross)

Hoo hah!  I've heard these reviled for so long that I'd love to see one!
Weren't they the ones that couldn't be disposed of without a hazardous waste
permit?  Something about plastics with PCB's or something?

Great topic!           Paul T.