RE: New Torque Wrench

To: Lee Teicheira <leet1@pacbell.net>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: New Torque Wrench
From: "Thana, Peter {HTS~Palo Alto}" <peter.thana@ROCHE.COM>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 13:14:41 -0700
I'm disappointed with all the current offerings in the affordable range.
The Craftsman kinda sucks, the plastic locking rings always fail right
after the warranty and the whole things can go pretty soon after with
our kind of use.  The only other one on the market has an annoying
spring loaded locking collar that you have to hold while you twist the
handle.  It is sold under various labels by K-D, Husky (Home Depot) and
SK Tools, but I'm pretty sure they are all the exact same wrench.  If
you're going to get it, get the Husky one as it's the cheapest (~$50)
and still has the lifetime warranty which the Craftsman does not.

K-D used to make a nice one with a metal locking collar.  Kobalt (Lowes)
used to have a good one when they were a brand of Snap-On, but now they
are selling generic Danaher tools.

If it were me, personally, I would buy a good used Snap-On/Mac/Proto on
eBay and then get it calibrated.  The all metal tools seem to last
longer.

Peter