Re: Blackhawk party

To: 76067.1750@compuserve.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Blackhawk party
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:23:16 -0400

Message text written by "Peter Mottaz"

"It really was a fun evening. I enjoyed Peter Hyltons talk and it was
fascinating to learn about the early days of the region. It was also
interesting to hear how SF region is viewed by the other regions...didn't
realize that it garners such respect and trepidation!"

I'm glad he stated it the way he did. When I served on the
SEB--1975-1976--i faced some of that trepidation from by fellow SEB members
of the era and had to deal with it. And this was from the Solo II world. My
SEB successor, Larry Gomes from Fresno, came up with a solution which was
never to refer to our home region by name but rather call it "My home
region" or similar. It's a practice I still follow for similar reasons.
        Peter Hylton did make one reference to the "Left Coast." While said
with a smile by others, do understand such a reference is not always a
positive.

        If you go to a convention today, you, too, can meet some of it. A
lot of people are envious of our success as a region and a winner of Solo
II National titles. We're up to 236 after the '03 Nationals. That's more
than twice as many as the next best.
        So tread lightly or you'll find people vote against you on various
committees strictly because you're from San Francisco Region and not for
any logical reason.
        San Francisco Region is the 800 lb. gorilla of SCCA regions.

--John Kelly