Re: Sociology-Lady Cobra Driver

To: aceontour@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Sociology-Lady Cobra Driver
From: Larrybsp@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 17:50:12 EST
Ifrom:larrybsp@aol.com (Larry Stark)

                Katie's comment got me laughing. Very few current Solo II
drivers ever heard of Mary Rice. If you know who she is welcome to the old
timers club. Mary was your normal average woman as related to her physical
abilities, no biceps ripping through her blouse if you get what I mean. Mary
could drive and do it well in any car. I know she won a slew of National
Championships in a variety of cars. I had the opportunity to see her win the
AP Ladies National Championship driving Jerry, "Father" Reilly's original,
like in real, Cobra. In talking with Mary she told me she had to work out all
summer to build her upper body strength to drive that car. She said without
power steering it took Hercules to guide that Cobra through the cones. I
still
have a picture of her with a grimace on her face going through the slalom. In
my mind, Mary is up there with the best of them, men or women. You could also
throw Rita Wilsey into that pool along with Katie but then she could swim out
of it. I could go on but I've learned any guy who thinks he is a better
driver than a woman just because he is a guy has never shared the track with
a woman who was really good.