Re: Slush Round 2 results are posted

To: "Charles Cox" <charles@coastalbay.com>,
Subject: Re: Slush Round 2 results are posted
From: "James Creasy" <james@thevenom.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:59:31 -0700
From: "Charles Cox" <charles@coastalbay.com>
> I would like to encourage the timing and scoring people to take more care
in
> their work.

there are two main causes i have seen in the trailer that cause scoring
errors:

  1. the scorer gets behind and writes the time on the wrong card

  2. the card sorter doesnt verify the correct card is given to the sorter
(car numbers might be wrong, multiple cars with same number)

the main reason this happens is that we are so efficient cars can actually
start and finish faster than the sorter and scorer can work.

my advice is for the trailer crew to be more willing to hold the start to
get stuff sorted out.  ive often seen a scene that reminds me of the classic
lucy in the candy factory, with the chaos ensuing and no one willing to hold
the start and get everything sorted out before compounding the errors.
sometimes i think in our overachieving zeal to run cars as fast as possible
there is a taboo about holding up the event even for a minute or two.

because the result for my ENTIRE season came down to my LAST run of the LAST
event, timing accuracy can be very important.  even so there were numerous
errors in the results for that day.

-james
OSP - Once Started, Prevails