MINI and 2001+ Miata wheels

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: MINI and 2001+ Miata wheels
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 16:12:57 -0700
A company in Florida, AK Tires, is organizing the production of
16x6.5" wheels for use on the MINI in stock classes.  By a happy
coincidence, they also happen to be the proper size for 2001-2003
Miatas that use 16" wheels.

Specs: 5.8 Kg (just under 13 pounds), Cast, 16"x6.5", 4x100mm bolt
pattern, 44mm offset, center bore large enough for MINI or Miata (they
will provide hub centering adapter rings).  They look very similar to
the SSR Competition wheels (see the pictures of the 15" Monza wheels
on their web site, you'll see what I mean).

This is not a common aftermarket size (almost every aftermarket 16"
wheel is at least 7" wide) so it's great that a company is willing to
make a lightweight wheel at this size.  The lightest existing wheels I
know of in this size are the Enkei RP-01 at 14.5 pounds (not in
production) and the Miata stock wheels at 15.5 pounds.

They are looking for confirmed orders for 20-25 sets before they pay
to have the mold made.  As of Wednesday, they had 9 orders.

Their web site is www.aktiresusa.com, and their phone number is
813-287-8473.  Ask for Michael, and tell him I sent you.  I hope we
can get enough interest to get these wheels made!

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94