What do you hasve to sign when buying a new car

To: "'james creasy'" <Black94PGT@pacbell.net>,
Subject: What do you hasve to sign when buying a new car
From: "BOYLE,CRAIG (HP-Cupertino,ex2)" <craig_boyle@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 11:48:11 -0700
.. not answering James' question, but a few things are bugging me about a
new car purchase that I'm going through.

We're being asked to
1) sign a disclosure form stating that the car has no side airbags.
2) fill out a credit app, with SSN#, employment history etc - even though
I'm paying with a check.

Maybe I'm just being a PITA, as usual. But I don't see what the dealer needs
this kind of stuff for. Surely the money and my home address is enough to
cover payment and recalls? Right?  When questioned, they just say "company
policy." Does the DMV need this data?  Why? Is this just part of the Big
Brother we're all going to have to live with post 9/11?

Oh, James: I recommend you back out of the deal asap - never buy a British
car :)  Never. Don't do it....

Craig