RE: Caterham 7s

To: "'John F. Kelly Jr.'" <76067.1750@compuserve.com>,
Subject: RE: Caterham 7s
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 11:53:38 -0700
Before I bought the Panoz I was looking at a Caterham 7. I called them
up and found the Caterham people to be knowledgable, responsive and
friendly. You can buy one and register it without too much trouble as
long as you take their advice and do it right. And either way, you have
the option to build the car yourself or to have it built for you. The
Super 7 model is an awesome car if you like kart-like handling with a
good P/W ratio.

The only drawback I saw in the Caterham 7 was the engine offering, a
1.6L Ford racing engine and good luck when it comes time to change the
oil and you need an oil filter (or any other parts). There is a place
near LA that installs Mazda 13B rotary engines in that car which at the
time I was looking was more powerful and more reliable than the engines
Caterham was using, and obviously you can get the parts anywhere. But
that was a few years ago so maybe Caterham has improved their factory
engine offerings...