Street or R tires

To: Jerry Mouton <jerry@moutons.org>
Subject: Street or R tires
From: Rich Urschel <OSP13@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 11:15:59 -0700
Jerry Mouton wrote:

> I just sent in my comment to the NHTSA about the regulations
> that threaten our Hoosiers and Kumhos, and after I sent
> it I started wondering whether we wouldn't actually be better
> off in Stock and Street Prepared if there were no R Tires.

Someone quite famous* in Solo2 stated in a private email to
me that we would have been far better off had R tires never
been allowed. I think to drop them now would be a nightmare
due to uneven availability of quality street tires.

Cost/benefit of R tires is highly size dependent. Smaller
R tires are NOT a bargain costing up to 3 times more.
Larger ones typically are a bargain.

I think if R tires become non-DOT the tire rule wording will
change quite quickly to continue to allow their use. Otherwise,
complete reclassification of cars dependent on tire availability
will be required. I suspect Hoosier wants their R tires to remain
DOT legal for reasons other than complying with racing rules.
If it's street racing, I don't think we should be supporting it.

Rich Urschel

*The famous person is from a great lakes state.